Refresh your shelves with our Found Black Ceramic Jugs. Collected in Hungary, these terracotta jugs create a lot of intrigue thanks to their moody color. The vessels are unglazed and get their smoke color thanks to the high red iron content in the clay. When the ceramics are fired, a chemical reaction happens due to the lack of oxygen in the wood fired kiln, turning the clay black. Because the wood-fired furnace is kept closed, all the smoke stays inside and further contributes to the black color of the pottery. The designs are created by hand with a river stone and each one is one-of-a-kind.
- Condition: Good, wear consistent with age
- Decorative use only
- Each jug will vary from images shown in pattern, shape, size and color.
- The hand of the artisan is visible the differences in design authenticate the handmade nature of the product.
- Sold individually, a “let us choose for you” concept
- Sourced in Hungary, mid-century
Product Details and Dimensions
Dimensions are approximate, boards are all different and might be slightly out of the range.
- Overall: 10” L x 10.5” W (handle) x 8.5” H
- Weight: 8.5 lbs
Care and Maintenance
- For decorative use only
- When using as a planter, use a pot liner insert along with a handful of small stones as there is no drainage hole.
- To clean, wipe with a damp cloth.
- To protect the original condition, do not apply household cleaners or abrasive cleaning agents.